Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"I get along better with the guys... I don't make girlfriends easy."

I was the really tall awkward skinny girl you grew up with. I didn't get "pretty" until I got to high school and boys didn't like me before my high school days because I was "one of the guys." I was super athletic, played basketball, tennis and track in junior high and soccer and tennis in high school. I was always wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and wouldn't be caught dead in a dress and absolutely DESPISED pink. To this day I own 1 coral dress and one pink Johnny Cash t-shirt (only because they didn't have any other color.) Ruffles, hair bows and knee high socks made me want to vomit and my hair was always in a pony tail. Needless to say, I didn't really have many "girlfriends." Actually, girls kind of annoyed me. I couldn't relate to them, I didn't enjoy chatting about boys because I didn't have boys to chat about, I didn't want them putting make up on me or fixing my hair and heaven forbid if the words "dress up" were involved. I could fake it pretty good when I needed to but I usually tried to avoid situations where I had to fake it. So, in order to justify my distaste for females I used the excuse most tomboy girls use which was "I get along better with guys." It was partly the truth because I did relate more to masculine things, but the real truth was I didn't really want to try to get along with the girls.

Throughout college I had 2 girls I leaned on for everything. Muah, love you both! But that was it, they were my "best friends" and I wasn't trying to find any new ones to add to the list. When I moved back to Dallas after a really bad breakup I knew I need to break away from the "I get along better with guys" excuse and try to make some girlfriends. So I searched for girlfriends and met some through a christian meetup group. You can read my beautifully talented friend Julie's blog to get the full story about how we met here. When I met these girls and realized girlfriends weren't all that bad I continued to seek girls who were like minded who loved the Lord and I now have a plethora of amazing women surrounding me and you know what I've learned... It's easy to make good girlfriends, and girlfriends totally rock!!

Girlfriends write you e-mail prayers when you are having a bad day and they can't call you because your cell phone is considered contraband at work. Girlfriends pray to God and ask him to "take all the cookies away" because she knows you struggle daily with body image. Girlfriends stick by your side for 15 years after you've exposed all your dirty laundry, called them 10 times in one day to cry about the same boy who you continue to take back time and time, heart ache after heart ache. Girlfriends drive to Dallas from Killeen to spend a day and a half with you for your birthday. Girlfriends take a day off work and drive to your house to pick you up and take you to the doctor knowing you will say no up until the very second they knock on the door of your apartment. Girlfriends sit there and listen while you cry to them in the middle of Starbucks for no other reason than because you are physically and emotionally drained and can't hold it in anymore. Girlfriends travel through state parks to look for dinosaur foot prints with an Iphone flashlight just to create a new fun adventure for you to laugh about later.

Girlfriends are amazing. You should get some!

No comments:

Post a Comment