Monday, December 10, 2012

Koreans don't speak Spanish!

So, for a little over a month, I've been reading a book trying to teach myself how to speak Spanish. I've been telling myself I was going to do it forever and I finally stopped procrastinating and started learning. I am no where close to being proficient but learning none the less.

Well, living in Texas any time someone doesn't understand what you are saying a good percentage of the time it's because they speak Spanish. Working in the Social Work field, I've learned Spanglish and I can understand some of the things they say and through hand gestures and broken Spanish we can sometimes make it work.

In my attempt to communicate with the Koreans, I don't know why, but I've been trying the same thing. These poor Koreans!!! I have no idea why my brain has been making the connection that it is even a little bit logical to say Spanish words but it has, and it has been a hilarious mess. They look at me with blank stares and then I realize it is because not only am I speaking one language they don't understand, I am throwing more foreign words in the middle of it all.

I have heard several people over the years say the words "If they live in our country, they should know how to speak our language." In my 5 days here, that has been breaking my heart. I realized how cold we are to the stories of the people that are in our country. Yes, some have come illegally, but a lot have come for a better life. Refugees from extreme violence, women and children trafficked for sex crimes, and people who wanted to provide a better future for their families. I hope we will be able to show a little more grace to those that cannot understand us. And remember, learning a new language is hard!!

No comments:

Post a Comment