Friday, December 28, 2012

Dreading New Year's Eve


Superstition holds, failing to kiss someone at the stroke of midnight ensures an entire year of loneliness  Well, I'm living proof that is not true. Last year I went on a camping trip with 19 random strangers. One of the people I met was a cute Indian boy who my dad liked to refer to as "Au Jus." I ended up spending a lot of time with him prior to New Year's Eve and although we exchanged a few kisses between Christmas and New Year's, I knew we wouldn't be spending New Year's Eve together so I wasn't left anticipating a midnight kiss.

He went camping with some of our friends, and I went to a party being thrown by one of my friends from church. Shout out to Frank, I'm so bummed I won't be able to attend your "Mascaraed" party this year! I didn't drink a sip of alcohol and there was no boy anxiously waiting to kiss me and it was the best New Year's Eve I've ever had! We two stepped, we laughed, we sang at the top of our lungs, I watched crazy face Gonzalez "shuffle" his way around the dance floor, and the entire night left a smile on my face I couldn't remove even if I tried. I had a wonderful time with beautiful people and despite what the superstition implies, 2012 was far from lonely! In the last year, I have met amazing people and made wonderful, solid friendships. I have been surrounded by love and affection, encouraged and supported in times of sadness and pain and celebrated in times of victory. My support system was increased and I am utterly amazed and in awe of God's goodness toward me. I don't deserve what He continues to provide but I will gladly take it in. 

As I reflect back on my time last year, I am sad that I won't be spending this New Year's Eve with my friends. For me, it's not about the celebration, the count down, or the New Year's Eve kiss, it's about being surrounded by the people I love. I miss you friends! My life isn't the same without you in it every day, and even though I speak to you often, I miss your presence. I miss your smiles, your silly giggles, your random jokes and your quirky personalities. And to the one I haven't talked to, I miss you too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment